A 4-bay, 2-story house with a 1-story extension on its east side stands at 1721 Old Trenton Road in the historic West Windsor community of Edinburg. This building - the "Sailey-Tantum" house - is also a member of West Windsor's "100 Club."
Although the exact date this houe was built is unknown, some sources claim a date as early as 1758, which, if true, would make it one of the oldest in West Windsor. While it is unknown if the house is indeed this old, the structure does feature low ceilings and was clearly expanded over time. Moreover, a deed from 1817 (the oldest currently-known deed for this specific parcel) mentions a "messuage" (dwelling-house) on this property, which at that point was less than a quarter of an acre.
That year, Jacob and Jane warner sold this lot to James Hutchinson for $250. This was perhaps the same James Hutchinson who owned the general store directly across the street and the hotel next door. Fourteen years later, James and his wife, Mary, sold the Sailey-Tantum house to Jonathan Hutchinson.
Following this sale, the ownership of the property becomes unclear. However, David Hill - himself an Overseer of the Highways and Commissioner for Laying Roads in the 1840s-50s - must have purchased it at some point before his death in 1888, because the following year, his estate (then also including 1727 Old Trenton Road) was sold to his son, James Hill, as well as Liscomb Tindall. This deed listed 1727 Old Trenton Road as the "Homestead" lot and 1721 Old Trenton Road as the "Tenant" lot, suggesting that the Sailey-Tantum house sheltered hired help.
Eventually, the lot was split up again, and 1721 Old Trenton Road, as a standalone parcel again, passed to Mary Rogers - probably around 1906. About nine or ten years later, it was acquired by Willard A. Sailey. Willard, a lifelong resident of Edinburg, owned this property until his death in 1947. Thereafter it passed to his wife, Hazel and then in 1949 to Myron Tantum Sr. and his wife, Bernice.
The house stayed in Tantum hands until 2003. Many years later, it remains a contributing element to the historic Edinburg community.
- “Section IX – Conservation Plan Element – West Windsor Master Plan.” West Windsor Township, 2002.
- “Survey of Sailey-Tantum House.” West Windsor, NJ, January 30, n.d.. Survey in West Windsor Township Municipal Building. Conducted by Appraisal Surveys, Inc. (109 Fairway Terrace, Mt Laurel, NJ). Probably conducted pre-2004.
- Hutchinson, James, Warner, Jacob, Warner, Jane. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1817. Deed for the property of 1721 Old Trenton Road. Located in the New Jersey State Archives, Middlesex County Deed Book 12 Page 744.
- Hutchinson, James, Tindall, William Esq. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1814. Deed for the property of 1720-22 Old Trenton Road. Located in the New Jersey State Archives, Middlesex County Deed Book 11 Page 790.
- Hutchinson, James, Hutchinson, Sarah, Keelor, Joseph. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1811. Deed for the property of 1719 Old Trenton Road. Located in the New Jersey State Archives, Middlesex County Deed Book 9 Page 7.
- Hutchinson, James, Hutchinson, Mary, Hutchinson, Jonathan. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1831. Deed for the property of 1721 Old Trenton Road. Located in the New Jersey State Archives, Middlesex County Deed Book 23 Page 505.
- “West Windsor Township Meeting Minutes, 1797-2012.,” n.d. Original Township Committee meeting minute database located in the Municipal Center.
- Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church. (n.d.). Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church graveyard. West Windsor. Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church graveyard gravestones, which often list birth dates, death dates, and ages of those buried there - including those of many of West Windsor's oldest families.
- Clarke, William, Hill, James M., Tindall, Liscomb. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1889. Deed for the property of 1721 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 164 Page 461.
- Rogers, Mary A., Tindall, Liscomb. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1906. Deed for the property of 1721 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 285 Pag 225.