Standing at 1727 Old Trenton Road is a 4-bay, 2-story house with a detached garage in its rear yard. This tract - hereafter called the "Ivans-Hill-Mount" property - is a contributing element to the historic community of Edinburg and a member of West Windsor's "100 Club."
Although the exact date of construction is unknown, some sources suggest a date between 1742 and 1750. If true, this would make the house possibly the very oldest still standing in West Windsor (in 2023). A deed from 1807 shows Elijah and Elizabeth Tindall selling 2 acres (including a "premises," suggesting a structure of some sort already existed on the property) to Daniel Ivans of Nottingham (an unincorporated community in Hamilton Township). It's presumed that Daniel and his wife, Theodosia Tindall, raised their children here.
In 1840, David B. Hill purchased the property. David was a West Windsor Overseer of the Highways and Commissioner for Laying Roads in the 1840s-50s. One year after his death in 1888, the property - then also containing the adjacent property of 1721 Old Trenton Road - was sold to his son, James M. Hill, as well as Liscomb Tindall. This deed listed 1727 Old Trenton Road as the "Homestead" lot and 1721 Old Trenton Road as the "Tenant" lot, suggesting that the Ivans-Hill-Mount house is where the Hill family actually lived.
Following the year 1889, the lineage of ownership is unclear. However, what is known is that Hiram Mount owned this property by 1940. Hiram owned much land in the area, as well as the nearby house at 1309 Windsor Road. He was also one of West Windsor's longest-ever serving Township Committeemen, from 1896-1930.
In 1940, the property passed to Hiram's wife, Vera. Hiram passed away two years later, but Vera lived for another 30 years after that. Following her passing, the property was sold to one of their sons, Victor Mount, and his wife, Anita. Another of their sons, Isaac Newton Mount, was a longtime owner of the nearby Clayton-Taylor-Mount house at 1716 Old Trenton Road.
The property remains in Mount hands in 2023, a longtime relic of centuries of Edinburg - and West Windsor - history.
- "West Windsor Tax Assessor Address List, 2019.” West Windsor, 2019. List of all residences in West Windsor with dates of construction, according to tax assessor. Sent to the Historical Society by Lorraine Jones and Dawn Moretti.
- “Section IX – Conservation Plan Element – West Windsor Master Plan.” West Windsor Township, 2002.
- Ivans, Daniel, Tindall, Elijah, Tindall, Elizabeth. “Indenture.” Windsor, 1817. Deed for the property of 1727 Old Trenton Road. Located in the New Jersey State Archives, Middlesex County Deed Book 7 Page 32.
- United States Census, 1850 - West Windsor Township.” West Windsor Township, 1850.
- Hill, David B., Ivans, Daniel, Ivans, Theodosia. “Indenture.” Windsor, 1840. Deed for the property of 1727 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 114 Page 558.
- “West Windsor Township Meeting Minutes, 1797-2012.,” n.d. Original Township Committee meeting minute database located in the Municipal Center.
- Clarke, William, Hill, James M., Tindall, Liscomb. “Indenture.” Windsor, 1889. Deed for the property of 1727 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 164 Page 461.
- Mount, Hiram, Mount, Vera. “Deed.” Windsor, 1940. Deed for the property of 1727 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 801 Page 478.
- “Hiram Mount.” Sunday Times-Advertiser. March 1, 1942
- “Mrs. Vera M. Mount.” The Evening Times. April 25, 1972.
- Buckley, John F. Jr., Buckley, Sarah L., Mount, Anita P., Mount, Isaac Newton, Mount, Victor K., Mount, Victor K. “Deed.” Windsor, 1977. Deed for the property of 1727 Old Trenton Road. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 2050 Page 282.