The Warren-Kmenta-Sparks House
Standing at 325 Clarksville Road, oriented at an odd angle to the road, is a 2-story house with detached 2-car garage. This structure - the Warren-Kmenta-Spark house - is a member of West Windsor's "100 Club."
While tax records assert that the house was constructed in 1888, a structure appears on this site on maps dating as far back as 1849 (although this may be a predecessor). The first known property owner was Isaac Stockton, who in 1872, sold it to Marthan Ann Vanzandt. In 1878, she and her husband further deeded the property to John Anderson, and the next year it passed to Louise and Samuel Warren - the first namesake owners.
The 1900 census shows the full extent of the home's residents: Samuel (a flour and feed dealer) and Louise, their children Walter (a janitor), William (a teamster), Ellis (a tobacco store salesman), Harry (a grocery deliveryman), Louise (a student), Frank (a grocery store salesman), and a granddaughter, Elizabeth Ferry (a student).
In 1912, the property passed out of Warren hands to Lester R. Anderson, who, six years later, sold it to Cyril and Anna Kmenta. The 1930 census shows the Kmentas - both Czechoslovakian immigrants - living with four daughters (Rose, Helen, Mildred, and Doris) and two sons (John and George).
The property largely stayed in the Kmenta family until 1960, when they sold it to John and Mildred Sparks. The couple owned this property for 51 years, until selling it in 2011. The house still stands along Clarksville Road, a relic of old West Windsor.
- "West Windsor Tax Assessor Address List, 2019.” West Windsor, 2019. List of all residences in West Windsor with dates of construction, according to tax assessor. Sent to the Historical Society by Lorraine Jones and Dawn Moretti.
- Otley, J W, and James Keily. “Map of Mercer County, New Jersey.” Map. Camden, New Jersey: L. Van der Veer, 1849.
- Stockton, Isaac, Vanzandt, Marthan Ann. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1872. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 91 Page 373.
- Anderson, John, Vanzandt, Alexander Weyman, Vanzandt, Marthan Ann. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1878. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 118 Page 85.
- Anderson, John, Warren, Louise, Warren, Samuel S. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1879. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 121 Page 287.
- United States Census, 1900 - West Windsor Township.” West Windsor Township, 1900.
- United States Census, 1930 - West Windsor Township.” West Windsor Township, 1930.