The Hutchinson-Terhune House
Standing at 557 Village Road West is an old, 2-story house. This building is a contributing structure to the historic community of Dutch Neck and a member of West Windsor's "100 Club." Township tax records document a construction date of 1916.
Indeed, this house is a prime example of the early-1900s "American Foursquare" architectural style. American Foursquare was so called for two primary reasons. First, this style originated in the United States and often featured square-shaped houses with four large rooms on each floor. Second, like the dictionary definition of the word "foursquare" itself, the American Foursquare style` emphasized "solid," "straightforward," and "honest" craftsmanship. Houses of this style could often be ordered through catalogues.
The house's first owner was Clark Hutchinson (see adjacent advertisement) and his wife, Emma Tindall, who had bought the land in 1910. Clark was West Windsor Township's Tax Assessor from 1903-1910. He was also one of the town's last-ever Overseers of the Highways (a position that had existed since West Windsor's founding in 1797) from 1923-1926.
In 1935, the property was bought by Harold Terhune and his wife, Bertha Everett. Bertha was a secretary at Trenton High School and later secretary to the superintendent of the West Windsor School District (this was back before West Windsor and Plainsboro consolidated their districts in 1969). She also served as the Dutch Neck correspondent for the Princeton Packet newspaper. When she died in 2000 she was 93 years old and had been the Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church's longest standing member, at 83 years. Bertha was long predeceased by Harold, who died in 1970. He worked for the Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSEG) for 30 years.
It was not until after Bertha's passing that the house, which had been in Terhune hands for 65 years, passed to new owners.
- "West Windsor Tax Assessor Address List, 2019.” West Windsor, 2019. List of all residences in West Windsor with dates of construction, according to tax assessor. Sent to the Historical Society by Lorraine Jones and Dawn Moretti.
- “Architectural Patterns/Vernacular Architecture - American Foursquare (1900-1930).” Roanoke, Virginia. Accessed January 21, 2023. https://www.roanokeva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1470/Architectural-Patterns---American-Foursquare-PDF.
- Hutchinson, Clark W., Hutchinson, Emma J., May, Ida, Wyckoff, Harvey. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1910. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 325 Page 61.
- “West Windsor Township Meeting Minutes, 1797-2012.,” n.d. Original Township Committee meeting minute database located in the Municipal Center.
- Hutchinson, Clark W., Hutchinson, Emma J., Terhune, Bertha Everett, Terhune, Harold W. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1935. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Offices, Mercer County Deed Book 732 Page 455.
- “Obituaries - Bertha Everett Terhune.” Town Topics. February 23, 2000.
- “Obituaries - Harold W. Terhune.” Town Topics. July 2, 1970.
- Haaf, Beverly T, Haaf, William R., Terhune, Harold W. Jr. “Deed.” West Windsor, 2001. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 4145 Page 184.