Located at 510 Village Road West is a large, 7-bay 3-bay house. This building is a contributing structure to the historic community of Dutch Neck and a member of West Windsor's "100 Club."
Various records suggest that this structure was built between 1850 and 1858., This property was for a long time part of the same tract as the Copeland-Sailey house next door at 508 Village Road West. But even before that, it was originally part of the historic Slayback homestead, whose house still stands at 542 Village Road West. In the mid-1800s, this homestead was owned by William Updike - a Township Committee member, Poundkeeper, Judge of Elections, and Commissioner of Taxation Appeal through much of the 1860s-70s. It is presumed that William lived in the homestead house at 542 Village Road West and possibly rented out any other houses on the property (including 508 and 510 Village Road West).
In 1854, William sold a combined tract that now contains both 508 and 510 Village Road West to Edward R. Combes. Combes died eleven years later, but his wife, Anna, is presumed to have lived on the property until her death in 1915. One year later, the combined tract was sold to Gertrude and George Gilham. The couple also likely lived here until their deaths, in 1942 and 1943, respectively.
Around this time, the property passed to Gertrude and George's son, John - a New York City jeweler (at Trabert and Hoeffer Jewels). He and his wife, Helene, split the property into 508 and 510 Village Road West. They collectively owned 510 Village Road West until Helene's passing in 1981., Thereafter the property finally passed out of Gilham family hands and sold to new owners, who maintain it as a familiar sight in old Dutch Neck.
- "West Windsor Tax Assessor Address List, 2019.” West Windsor, 2019. List of all residences in West Windsor with dates of construction, according to tax assessor. Sent to the Historical Society by Lorraine Jones and Dawn Moretti.
- Otley, J W, and James Keily. “Map of Mercer County, New Jersey.” Map. Camden, New Jersey: L. Van der Veer, 1849.
- Gilham, Helene Mann, Gilham, John R. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1942. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office, Mercer County Deed Book 843 Page 159.
- Slayback, Abel, Bergen, John G. Ms. Deed. New Jersey State Archives, 1811. Found in New Jersey State Archives Manuscript Room - Middlesex County Deeds - Middlesex County Deed Book 9 Page 211.
- Hill, Joseph, Updike, William. Ms. Deed. New Jersey State Archives, 1843. Found in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deeds - Mercer County Deed Book G Page 17.
- “West Windsor Township Meeting Minutes, 1797-2012.,” n.d. Original Township Committee meeting minute database located in the Municipal Center.
- Combes, Edward R., Updike, William. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1854. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deed Book 27 Page 466.
- Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church. (n.d.). Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church graveyard. West Windsor. Dutch Neck Presbyterian Church graveyard gravestones, which often list birth dates, death dates, and ages of those buried there - including those of many of West Windsor's oldest families.
- “Deaths: Combes.” Trenton Sunday Times-Advertiser, September 12, 1915.
- Combes, Edward R., Combes, Elizabeth A., Combes, Isaac S., Combes, Mary, Gilham, Gertrude, Gilham, George, Hanvey, Edgar W., Hanvey, Mary H., Johnson, David S., Johnson, Davis S. Jr., Rossell, John, Rosse,, Maria L. “Indenture.” West Windsor, 1916. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deed Book 396 Page 189.
- “Deaths: Mrs. George L. Gilham.” Trenton Sunday Times-Advertiser. November 15, 1942.
- “Deaths: Gilham.” Trenton Evening Times. May 3, 1943.
- Gilham, George L., Gilham, John R. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1942. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deed Book 836 Page 148.
- "Obituaries: John R. Gilham” Town Topics, January 16, 1969.
- Gilham, Helene M., Gilham, John R. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1943. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deed Book 848 Page 505.
- "Obituaries: Helene M. Gilham” Trenton Times, November 14, 1981.
- Phillips, Douglas, Phillips, Virginia L., Stuebe, William H. “Deed.” West Windsor, 1982. Located in the Mercer County Clerk's Office - Mercer County Deed Book 2198 Page 824. Mentions Helene's passing the year prior; William was the executor of her estate.